Jay Papasan [Pap-uh-zan] is a bestselling author who serves as the Vice President of Strategic Content for Keller Williams Realty International, the world’s largest real estate company. He is also Vice President of KellerINK and Co-Owner, alongside his wife Wendy, of Papasan Properties Group with Keller Williams Realty in Austin, Texas.
Jay was born and raised in Memphis, TN. After attending the University of Memphis, he spent several years working in Paris. He later graduated from New York University’s graduate writing program and began his publishing career at HarperCollins Publishers. There, he helped piece together bestselling books such as Body-for-Life by Bill Phillips and Go for the Goal by Mia Hamm.
After moving to Austin, Jay joined Keller Williams Realty International, and in 2003 he co-authored The Millionaire Real Estate Agent, a million-copy bestseller, alongside Gary Keller and Dave Jenks.
His most recent work with Gary Keller on The ONE Thing has sold nearly 2.5 million copies worldwide and garnered more than 500 appearances on national bestseller lists, including #1 on The Wall Street Journal’s hardcover business list. It has been translated into 41 different languages.
What you will learn in this episode:
- The right approach for leadership when confronting conflict
- How courage and curiosity contribute to healthy communication
- Jay’s experience before openly sharing his standards and how it helped him change his approach
- The way fear plays into our hesitation toward open communication
- The clear difference between gossip and feedback, and how you can frame your feedback so that your recipient doesn’t get defensive
- An actionable way to step in and improve the integrity of your team communication
- The benefit of briefly hitting the “pause button” before advancing the conversation